A special installation in the Gallery’s East Building features Mural (1943) by Jackson Pollock, on loan from the University of Iowa Museum of Art. Originally commissioned by Peggy Guggenheim for her New York City townhouse, the early painting is Pollock’s largest work at nearly 20 feet long, and represents a major turning point in the seminal artist’s career and style. Also on view are paintings and works on paper by Pollock from the Gallery’s collection, including Number 1, 1950 (Lavender Mist) (1950). The installation marks the debut of Mural in Washington, DC.
Credit: Exhibition overview from museum website