Shelton House, a Charleston-style farm house, was built in 1875, and later founded as The Museum of NC Handicrafts by Mary Cornwell in 1977.
Today, the collections in the Museum and Barn consists of beautiful antiques, heritage crafts, agricultural exhibits, and other items from crafters and artisans past and present.
The Village of Yesteryear crafters were instrumental in providing donations of crafts for the Museum. Charles Ray, oldest nephew of Will and Hattie Shelton, donated selected items from Will and Hattie’s Southwestern Native American collection to the Museum.
4+ acre grounds at The Shelton House includes various feature gardens. Additional garden and green space include the Shelton Barn Events Center, the Shelton Carriage House Gift Shop, the HART Performing Arts Center, and Haywood’s Historic Farmers Market.
Credit: Overview from museum website