In 1899, Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow built The Pines, the first and only home they ever owned. Herbert Dow (1866-1930) founded Dow Chemical Company.
The Pines is located within Dow Gardens. It is an architecturally vernacular 2-1/2 story wood frame structure, with a diversity of projections, roof styles, and window sizes and shapes. The home, which is still filled with the Dow family’s furnishings, provides an intimate look into their life. The house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976.
The Pines welcomes visitors for guided tours and special events. A short (.25 mile) walk through Dow Gardens is necessary to access the home. Due to the historic nature, the building is not handicap accessible. High heels are not allowed.