The Park – listed on the National Register of Historic Places – encompasses 25 acres. Named “Edgerton,” for its location on the edge of town, the house (no longer standing) and grounds, designed by Robert Storer Stephenson, was completed in 1909 as a wedding present to Brewster’s wife, Margaret. Intended as a retreat from the industrial city, the grounds were in the style of 18th Century English landscape gardens, to reveal both natural and man-made vistas.
Brewster’s will stipulated that the house be demolished and the grounds be given to the City of New Haven for a public park after his wife’s death. Happily, the original wall, greenhouses, carriage house, gatehouse, and bridge still stand. Edgerton Park is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.