An Italianate-style villa, Chepstow was built in 1860 by resident Newport architect George Champlin Mason as a summer residence for a client. It bequeathed in 1986 to the Preservation Society, with its collections intact and an endowment.
Containing the original furnishings of the second owner, together with important 19th century American paintings and documents, Chepstow is highly evocative of the taste and collections of a descendant of one of America's founding families.
Chepstow is open seasonally.
Credit: Exhibition overview from museum website