The Glass House, built between 1949 and 1995 by famed architect Philip Johnson in New Canaan, Connecticut, is one of the nation’s greatest modern architectural landmarks. Inspired by Mies van der Rohe's Farnsworth House, the Glass House’s exterior walls are made of glass with no interior walls, a radical departure from houses of the time.
There are fourteen structures on the pastoral 49-acre property, including the Glass House (1949), Guest House, Lake Pavilion, Painting Gallery, Sculpture Gallery, Ghost House, Studio, and Visitors Pavilion. It began an odyssey of architectural experimentation in forms, materials, and ideas through the addition of many new "pavilions" and the methodical sculpting of the surrounding landscape.
The Glass House is owned and operated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The campus serves as a catalyst for the preservation and interpretation of modern architecture, landscape, and art; and a canvas for inspiration and experimentation. It features a permanent collection of renowned 20th century painting and sculpture, along with temporary exhibitions.
Access to the site is via tour only.