Set among towering live oak trees in New Iberia, Louisiana's historic Main Street District, The Shadows was built on the banks of the Bayou Teche in 1834 for David Weeks and his family. The Shadows was once part of a sugar cane plantation.
In 1958, the great-grandson of the original owner,donated the property to the National Trust. Repair and restoration projects were based on an extensive architectural survey, the Weeks Family Papers collection, and other artifacts and home inventories. A rich collection of 17,000 family letters, photographs, and receipts preserved in trunks in the attic provides this Southern plantation house with one of the best documented tour experiences in the country.
The Shadows is a Classic Revival-style home with a Louisiana Colonial floor plan and a garden.