Built in 1895 as private residence for 19th Century industrialist John Pitcairn and his family, Cairnwood Estate is an architectural masterpiece from the Gilded Age with meticulous decorative elements blending influences from classical Greek and Roman architecture with French Renaissance inspirations. Designed by Carrère and Hastings, the exterior of Cairnwood shows a mixture of rustic elements and high style. The overall effect is that of a majestic French chateau.
The Estate consists of a Main House, adjacent courtyard, Garden House, and formal garden. Just a few feet from Huntingdon Pike are the entrance gate and Carriage House. In 1895, a stable, greenhouses, a pergola, three terraced gardens, and access to many acres of farmland surrounded by woodlands completed the idyllic country home.
The fully-restored home of John and Gertrude Pitcairn is managed as an educational, cultural, and hospitality center serving the local and national community.