While Historic Spanish Point is a complex museum with many layers there are four main elements to the overall story: Prehistory, Pioneers, Palmer, and Plants.
With an archaeological record that encompasses approximately 5,000 years of Florida prehistory, this National Register of Historic Places museum is referred to as one of the largest intact actively preserved archaeological sites of the prehistoric period on the Gulf Coast of Florida.
A 140 year old pioneer heritage has been preserved and interpreted at Historic Spanish Point in the carefully maintained 1901 Guptill House, the reconstructed Mary’s Chapel, and a reconstruction of the Webb Citrus Packing House.
In 1910, the Webb homestead was part of the 350-acre parcel of land on which Bertha Palmer, a Chicago socialite and widow, established a Winter estate, which she named “Osprey Point.” She preserved the pioneer buildings and connected them with lavish formal gardens and lawns. Three of her gardens – the Sunken Garden, Duchene Lawn, and Jungle Walk -- are open to visitors today.
On the shores of Little Sarasota Bay, Historic Spanish Point is a significant environmental site, with natialong nature trails and boardwalks, including a pristine mangrove shoreline, and a Butterfly Garden.
Exhibitions of art by local artists are shown in the Gallery at The Point, located in the Visitor Center.