Built on 85 acres of land in 1859, the Ryerss family home and art collection was donated to City of Philadelphia in 1905 be used as a park, library, and museum, “Free to the people forever.” The Ryerss Museum & Library was opened to the public in 1910 under the administration of the Fairmount Park Commission. In 1923 the rear galleries were added to accommodate display the many objects collected from all corners of the world.
Located in Burholme Park, Ryerss Museum has an extraordinary and eclectic collection that includes generations of family heirlooms, paintings, sculpture, decorative art, and a vast array of Asian art and artifacts. The Ryerss Library has a wide variety of current best sellers, children’s books, periodicals, and popular non-fiction.
An eclectic collection built by a family of world-travellers