Founded by Edmund Tarbell, Frank Benson, Lilian Westcott Hale, Bela Pratt, Frederick Allen and 37 other exceptional painters and sculptors of the day, the Guild opened its doors to the public at its current location, 162 Newbury Street, in November of 1914. More than a third of the 42 charter members were women. The Guild is a 501c3 private foundation committed to exhibiting traditional painting and sculpture by living New England artists.
A nonprofit arts association offering several exhibitions each year plus educational programs with the mission of promoting the arts though lectures, demonstrations and social gatherings. The Guild is a center for interchange of ideas between the artists and the community.