The museum's collection grew out of the original collection of Jacob Olson, an early immigrant to Bosaque County. A
new building was opened in 1957
, and since that time three additions
have been made, increasing the total display space to
8,000 square feet. An important recognition of the museum occurred on
October 22, 1982 when King Olaf V of Norway visited the museum to view the Cleng Pearson artifacts.
A log cabin, Jacob Olson's childhood home, was moved to the museum ground in 1985 and received a Texas Historical Marker the following year.
The museum's exhibitions consider both historical subjects and art reflecting the local environment.
Listing of scheduled exhibitions