The Clarksville Montgomery County Museum began operations in 1984 in the historic Customs House building to collect, preserve and interpret this community’s history and culture. The State’s second largest general museum features large gallery spaces filled with fine art, science and history.
The 1898 portion of the Museum was originally designed for use as a Federal Post Office and Custom House to handle the large volume of foreign mail created by the city’s international tobacco business. The brick exterior has decorative terra cotta around all openings and on the corners, and the building features 20 dormers.
Among the museum's collections is the Boehm porcelain collection -- one of the largest in the southeast -- including dozens of beautifully detailed birds and flowers.
Hundreds of porcelain pieces make up a large holiday display
Objects from the permanent collection celebrate the holiday season
Paintings themed around Tennessee State symbols
Various media examine the 10,000-year-old process of lost wax casting