This 5 acre estate built in 1816, located in Georgetown's Historic District, was originally owned by Martha Custis Peter, the granddaughter of Martha Washington. Home to six generations of the Peter family over the course of 180 years, today it is a National Historic Landmark and remains one of the nation’s few historic urban estates retaining the majority of its original landscape.
The Tudor Place object collection consists of more than 15,000 items dating from the mid-18th to the late-20th centuries, including the largest Martha and George Washington collection on view outside George Washington’s Mount Vernon. The Archive holds 5,000 books and a Manuscript Collection of 300 linear feet that includes early land records, maps, photographs, moving pictures, diaries, household receipts, correspondence, and one of only three letters extant from George to Martha Washington. These troves, representing every generation of Peter family occupation, reflect
more than 200 years of American social, political, and economic history.
The house is an excellent example of neoclassical architecture, and contains a notable collection of decorative arts. The collection includes more than 8000 objects from the period 1750-1983, including silver, ceramics, jewelry, paintings, drawings, sculpture, photographs, manuscripts and furniture. The early-19th century garden landscape features a bowling green, tennis lawn, flower knot and boxwood ellipse, and a Japanese tea house.
Viewable today by guided tours offered hourly, the house remains as the Peters lived in it. The gardens are open to the public.
Schedule of exhibitions, on now and upcoming