Founded in 1894, the museum has moved through 12 locations to its present home. The bulk of the museum's collections of approximately 4,000 works has been developed since the late 1940s. In 1992, the museum added “American” to its name to reflect the increasing focus on national and regional art within its exhibitions and collections.
A selection of works from the collection
Illustrates the role of a magazine in the development of craft
Charts the artist's evolution of styles across American and Native identities
Improvisational crochet installation responds to hard architectural geometries with looping, soft lines and shapes