Founded in late 1892, the Museum’s 2.5-block campus is the cornerstone of Portland’s cultural district. It includes the modernist-style Belluschi Building, the historic Mark Building, and an outdoor sculpture court, with a subterranean gallery connecting the two buildings.
PAM holds a permanent collection of more than 42,000 works of European, American, and Asian art, and at least one major traveling exhibition most of the time. The museum includes centers for Native American art, Northwest art, and modern and contemporary art, as well as permanent exhibitions of Asian art and an outdoor public sculpture garden. As an active collecting institution, 90 percent of the gallery space is dedicated to the permanent collection.
With more than 112,000 square feet of gallery space, PAM ranks in the top 25 museums in the country with the most gallery and exhibition space.