Reynolda House Museum of American Art is the center of the Reynolda Historic District: more than 150 acres of natural landscape (with walking paths) and historic architecture, including dairy barns and cattle sheds, blacksmith shop, carriage house, post office, and school buildings. Many of these structures have been converted into shops, cafes, and restaurants.
Reynolda House is the restored home of R.J. Reynolds, founder of the Reynolds tobacco company. Completed in 1917, the a 60-room "bungalow" was the primary residence of R.J. and Katharine Reynolds until 1922. Katherine decorated her home in the fashion of the time, and she and R.J. collected exemplary works of art by notable American artists spanning three centuries, including Albert Bierstadt, Frederic Church, Jacob Lawrence, and Grant Wood.
Associated with Wake Forest University, and dedicated solely to American art, Reynolda House Museum displays these paintings as they originally were hung, surrounded by many of the original family furnishings.
Reynolda Gardens are located off Reynolda Road, adjacent to the Reynolda House.