The Hunterdon Art Museum is housed in an 1836 stone mill which sits on the south branch of the Raritan River. In 1953, the mill was converted into a museum.
The HAM's permanent collection concentrates on works on paper, emphasizing prints, but also includes drawings, paintings and photographs. Dating from the 1930s to the present, the collection consists of work by internationally recognized artists as well as artists from the region. Highlights include prints by Mark DiSuvero, Philip Guston, Alex Katz, and Ad Reinhardt.
In addition to works on paper, the Museum’ s collection includes the sculpture New Direction by Tom Otterness. The bronze is installed on the Museum’s terrace. A second sculpture, Tree, by Toshiko Takaezu, is in the Museum lobby.