Noted for the bold color of his Louisiana landscapes and his ability to capture personality in his portraits, artist Louis Sicard (1897-1990) worked primarily in oil, but branched out into watercolor, egg tempera, acrylic and charcoal for specific works. Born one of eleven children of architect Jean Charles Sicard, Louis G. Sicard studied art at Tulane University under prominent Louisiana artists Elsworth Woodward, Charles Wellington Boyle, Claude Jackson and Luis Granier. He moved to Shreveport in 1933 and lived here until his death in 1990.
While remaining local, Sicard developed a national and even international profile. He exhibited at the New York World's Fair in 1940 and became a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts in Great Britain as well as the American Artists Professional League and Salmagundi Club in New York. Closer to home, he organized the Men's Art Guild in Shreveport and was a part of Louisiana Artists, Inc. In addition to paintings, Sicard was known for his large-scale murals which graced both museum and corporate venues including the Southwestern Electric Power Company, Don's Restaurant in Shreveport, the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce, and the old Selber Brothers department store in downtown Shreveport. Devoted to his work, Sicard completed his final painting only one week before he died at age 93.
Exhibition overview from museum website.