The desire to enrich the lives of the thousands of visitors, both within our community and beyond, has been the purpose of the Museum since its incorporation in 1929. At that time Hagerstown was an industrial city with a major railroad hub and a center for the manufacture of clothing, furniture, automobiles and airplanes. What it lacked, however, was a dedicated cultural center free and available to the community. On July 15, 1930, the cornerstone of the Museum was laid with funds provided by our founders, Mr. and Mrs. William Henry Singer, Jr. (Mrs. Anna Brugh Singer). This pictorial exhibit follows the construction and progress of the Museum from 1930 through 1981.
Credit: Exhibition overview from museum website.